Monday, September 6, 2010

sad, sad cookies...

I decided to make cookies yesterday. Sad, sad day.

I was excited to make chocolate chip, plain m & m, and peanut m & m. I read the recipe a couple times through, made sure I had all the ingredients, made sure I mixed in the correct order...blah, blah...and then this is what come out when the timer sounded.

Sad, dejected, flat cookies. You had such potential.



I tried calling Kelli so she could diagnose the problem...no answer
...I Google “flat cookies”, and in return received answers like your dough was too warm, here's a good recipe...
not helpful...
I called my mom she wasn't sure...said maybe add some oatmeal or flour.

I put the next batch in the fridge so it would be cooler...didn't fix it...still flat.
So I gave up, decided cookie dough it would be!

This morning this was still bothering me...I knew I read all the ingredients...I remember using two different sized measuring cups...you know… I didn't make a genius move and use the 1/4 cup twice...that sort of thing.

So I decided to check the cups in the dishwasher to see what I used.

I found the answer to my problem.

Note that the recipe called for 2 1/4 cups of flour, I already had the 1/4 out for the sugar, so that was correct, then I grabbed the biggest measuring cup in the bunch, the one cup, right...umm...wrong...that would actually be in the rice container.




That's right folks; I used the 1/2 cup...so Mom you were right, I should have added more flour...only a whole cup more! Essh!!! I guess I made reduced gluten cookies?

2 comments:

Lambfam said...

I have no doubt that they still tasted good, I know I can eat any cookie, and if it's missing a little flour that just means I can eat more. The moral of this story: don't google, your mom knows more!!!

Emily said...

Seriously, I've done this before. MULTIPLE TIMES. Really, anything wrong you can do to a cookie, I've done it. My latest was using only 1 stick of butter, not 2. You can imagine how well those turned out