Race Day Breakdown
We followed the race instructions and showed up at 5:30 AM for our bus ride out to the island, however there was a miscalculation or miscommunication, they only had 2 buses and needed at least 4. So there we stood in the dark, in the cold, teeth chattering (at least I had good company) but with smiles on our faces and butterflies in our stomachs. After about an hour of waiting we made it to the island, waited in line at the port-a-potties....last minute pee and wardrobe changes for some.
Finally we took our places, headphones in, water bottles strapped on tight, we were really doing it, we were at the start line in the mist and fog, the horn sounded and off we went. It was a pleasant stretch, beautiful hills(minus the dead birds along the road and occasional sound of shot gun fire, apparently it was hunting season. Who knew?)
![]() |
| Waiting for the bus in the dark. |
![]() |
| Antelope Island...waiting for the race to begin. |
We jogged and chatted, jogged and chatted....before we knew if we had completed the Antelope Island stretch (I could finally felt like I could breath) and were on our way back into Layton. We wrapped around the corn field on the outskirts...which felt like the longest stretch...tried some packaged goo stuff (it wasn't too bad), grabbed some orange slices and powerade from the wonderful volunteers(muh!). Unfortunately, I had worn my camelbak water pack, bad idea. My back was killing me! I was awkwardly stretch (hunch back style) as we were jogging. I finally had to give my pack to Mary for the last couple of miles. Thank you so Mary, I do not think I would have made it otherwise. Up the street, down the hill and around the corner at this point the finish line was insight. We ran our little legs out, passing Matt and the kids and Don and Louise. It was such an overwhelming feeling to see their faces after such a long journey and feel their support. The kids even made us signs. So stinkin' cute! Louise gave us each a Willow Tree figurine, "Courage". It was such a thoughtful gift. I am really grateful for it. Thank you Louise and Don. I tell ya, I have never had my muscles hurt that bad as they did after you cross the finish line...I had to keep moving around (I guess I have never ran for 3 hours straight either). It was a really challenging experience but a great one. Thanks Mary for being willing to train and being the perfect race partner.
![]() |
| Post race - Champions! |



No comments:
Post a Comment